THE CHARMING DOURO VALLEY – BIKE
The beauty of the Douro landscape
The Douro is the oldest wine region of the world, where for more than 200 years are produced outstanding quality wines due to its geographical conditions.
Since 2011 the region is considered world heritage by Unesco.
The landscape is the result between the perfect sintony between nature and human condition that has been working on the slopes of the mountains creating together the best conditions for the wine production.
The slopes of the mountains allow the best views over this charming valley. The best time of the year to visit this regions is the Spring and the Autumn where there colour schemes gets more intense, in the Autumn, the landscapes gets golden tones and in the Spring the sceneries get whiter due to the colour of the almond trees…
We invite you to cycle through this unique landscape and indulge a trip full of traditions, history and an outstanding natural beauty.
- The beauty of The Douro’s landscape
- The cliffs of Douro, the oldest wine region of the world
- The charms of the northern Portugal
WHY BOOK WITH US?
- We are Portuguese and know the hidden corners of our land better than anyone
- We work with the best experts in the activities provided
- We take every care when selecting your accommodation
- Online reservation with immediate confirmation
- Day 1 : We will pick you up at Porto Airport and together we will drive till the first accommodation, the charming Solar Egas Moniz. In Paços de Sousa, Penafiel. We will provide you all the information about the program, the bikes and you still have time to enjoy this peaceful and charming retreat.
- Day 2: After a delightful breakfast of typical products, the destination will be the Romanesc Route and its outstanding monuments of Roman origin. One of the first highlights is Castro, one of the biggest pre-roman ruins in the Iberic Peninsula. You will also pass by Quintadona and Cabroela, two renovated Schist Villages that still breathes the old times flairs. (37km)
- Day 3: The Destination of today will be the charming village of Pinhão, and it surrounding of vineyards, where you will have an intense experience of the destination. The afternoon is reserved for you so that you can indulge the utmost of the destination. Two suggestions are: a Douro Boat Trip (according to the time of the year) or a visit to Quinta do Bonfim, the producer of Dow`s 2011, considered the best wine of the world by Wine Spectator. You will be staying at the Vintage House Hotel a refurbished wine cellar that bring you today an amazing comfort with the best Douro Vineyards view.
- Day 4: After breakfast the journey of today will be in the surroundings of Pinhão village, and a bit to the north to Provesende. A typical village northen village fullfiled with herritage and old tales. On the way there will be many breath-taking viewpoints for you to indulge this outstanding vineyards landscape. There will also be lots of opportunities of wine tasting in the typical Quintas during the route. The overnight will at Vintage House Hotel. (50km)
- Day 5: Today you will head towards Peso da Régua, the Douro´s Capital where you will also have the chance to visit the Douro Museum. The route will be near the river and through its margins until you reach Quinta do Vallado, one of the most distinguished wine producer of the region where after your arrival you will have the chance to have wine and olive oil tastings as well as typical food workshops. The night will be spent at Quinta do Vallado. (37km)
- Day 6: After a detailed breakfast the route of today will be full of history, passing by the Lamego Castle nestled at the top of the village and stage of numerous battles to protect the village. The Lamegos´s cathedral in gothic arquitecture will be another ex libris of the day with 8 centuries of history. The Nossa Senhora dos Remedio Santuary is also another of the day highlight and its outstanding entrance staircase is one of the classical region postcards. The night is spend at Quinta do Vallado. (40km)
- Day 7: Today you will be transfered to the charming Oporto city. In here there will be plenty of activities to do and the city is lovely to explore on foot. The 1872 River House with views over the Douro River and in thc central area of Ribeira will accommodate you for the last night.
- Day 8: After a breakfast facing the Douro River it will be difficult for you to leave the city , so if you would like to extend your stay in Douro 1872 River House as well as We Love Small Hotels would be delighted to assist you on this.
This tour is self guided so it is up to you to decide your date of departure, we will be here!
The price of the program is from €1415 per person on a double room basis. Special seasons, single and solo traveller supplements applies.
What is included:
7 nights’ accommodation with breakfast
Welcome reception at the airport with information about the programme providing a mobile phone, GPS track and informational material
Tranfers from airport and to Oporto
5 Pic-nic to go on the activity days
1 dinner at Solar Egas Moniz
Transfer of luggage between accommodations
What is not included or is extra:
You didn’t find what you are looking for in our offer? We would ♥ to reduce, increase, modify, change and finally, we can do the tour depending on your interests and availability. Contact us: email@example.com.