Unique Alentejo Vineyards – Bike
The inner Alentejo is one of the most delightful and charming regions in Portugal.
Since we pedalled every distance in this program, it’s safe to say that we compiled the best of the best into one single program. Do you like to pedal through valleys and golden plains as if the horizon was your destination? Do you like a good local meal? Does the wine culture fascinates you? And how about lovely medieval village kept between the walls of castles? Do you like to feel the daily environment of truly unique rural village? If so, then this is the tour for you.
We gathered all these thrills and emotions and bring to you only the finest of inner Alentejo. Let yourself go and pedal, slowly, without rush, enjoying every piece of this unique experience.
Your main souvenir will be the richness of the journey, the charming village of Monsaraz, the city of Évora and the golden plains that go as far as the eye can see.
- The medieval village of Monsaraz
- The charmning city of Evora
- The golden plains to lose sight
WHY BOOK WITH US?
- We are Portuguese and know the hidden corners of our land better than anyone
- We work with the best experts in the activities provided
- We take every care when selecting your accommodation
- Online reservation with immediate confirmation
- Day 1: We’ll meet you at the Lisbon airport where we will welcome you and brief you through the program and equipment. Together we’ll go to the charming “Pateo dos Solares” Charm Hotel. After adjusting the bicycles and getting to know how the GPS works you’ll have the time to enjoy the hotel maybe going for a swim on the swimming-pool.
- Day 2: After the breakfast, filled with typical Alentejo products, start this tour cycling by pastoral fields around Estremoz, where the only sounds are the jangling bells of flocking sheep chirping. Continue rolling through the natural landscape and pass some villages with the typical Alentejo white-washed homes outlined in blue and ochre trim. Visit a Winery with possible wine tasting. We then return to the warming Pateo dos Solares Charm Hotel. 44km, +350m, road or 71km +700.
Wineries to visit during the Cycle Tour: Tiago Cabaço Wines; João Portugal Ramos and Dona Maria.
Wineries to visit km 41 of the longer option: Winery Herdade Monte da Cal.
- Day 3: We start pedalling towards Vila Viçosa, a village of great historical heritage and whose castle and Paço Ducal make the wonders of the visitors. Of great interest is also the visit to the Duques de Bragança Palace. Next we’ll go to Alandroal and its gothic stylish castle, dated from the year 1928 and risen by the Avis Order. After a lovely picnic of medieval landscapes we head to Redondo, another charming village of strong vinical culture where you can also visit the cellars and amaze yourself with the city downtown and its traditional clay handcraft. Today’s night is spent on the elegant Herdade Água D’Alte, a luxury retreat in Alentejo, whose hosts are waiting to welcome you. 58km + 600m.
- Day 4: After the breakfast and fantastic night sleep in cotton sheets, the destination is Évora Monte. This white painted streets village has over 500 years of existence and its ex-libris is its castle. Its wall, with a perimeter of 1000m and 4 circular towers of Italian inspiration, make this castle the only exemplar of military architecture in Portugal. At more or less 400 m of altitude, it’s difficult to get to the top but the views over Serra D’Ossa and Estremoz, make the effort worthwhile. After travelling in time, between meadows and plains, we return to the exquisite Herdade Água D’Alte country house. 60km, +600m.
- Day 5: Today will be peddaling through small Alentejo villages. We’ll go through villages like Outeiro, Terena whose houses were built around the charming castle that dates back to the century XIII or XIV, or even the small village of Montes Juntos. The final destination is the lovely medieval village of Monsaraz, one of the most well preserved villages in Portugal, with its very own unique charm. Its small stoned streets and its small shops make the wonders of its visitors. The gastronomy is especially good and we’ll show you the best places to go. Today’s location is Monte Saraz rural tourism, built over an ancient oil press, in the middle of nature and with a view over Monsaraz. 55km +500m.
- Day 6: After a breakfast of typical regional products, we’ll pedal through the charming villages of Telheiro where we’ll find numerous megalithic monuments such as the “Menir dos Almendres”, one of Portugal’s biggest with over 3,5m in height. Next we’ll head to Luz village, a recently rebuilt village after the previous one had been flooded by the construction of the Alqueva dam, the biggest artificial lake in Europe. This charming lake, with an astonishing and serene landscape, is also a very good spot for birdwatching. Our next stop is Vila de Mourão whose castle witnessed crucial encounters between the Portuguese and Spanish. We head back to Monte Saraz country retreat, where the sun waits for us for a sunset between the surrounding plains. 56km + 650m.
- Day 7: We start the day peddaling through the golden plains and reach the lovely Vila de Montoito, where the white of the houses contrasts with the serenity of the landscape. Before reaching our destination we’ll make a quick stop at Nossa Senhora de Machede, where you’ll be able to enjoy some typical snacks and where its white and blue church transmits the Christian faith in a very simple and typical style. A few more km and we’ll reach Évora, a UNESCO’s heritage city. The city is simply delightful and its historical legacy is endless. The historical centre invites to long walks and there are plenty activities available such as wine tasting, workshops, visiting megalithic monuments, food tasting or even getting to know the cork handicraft. Today’s charming location is the Casa do Governador that can make anyone fall in love with its decorative details. 68km, +700m.
- Day 8: After the breakfast, the destination is Arraiolos, the famous Portuguese village known for its carpets that share the same name. The technique behind these carpets was passed on from generation to generation, keeping the tradition alive. Arraiolos has also one of the few castles in the world with a round shape that makes it a notorious landmark. We head back to Casa do Governador country house in Évora, where the ideas are passed onto paper and where we get ready for our last night in Portugal. 68km. 600m
- Day 9 : After a prime breakfast we’ll take you to the airport where we’ll sadly say goodbye.
If you wish to stay a few more days in Evora, we’ll gladly drive you back to Lisbon whenever you wish.
This tour is self guided so it is up to you to decide your date of departure, we will be here!
The price of the program is €1525 per person on a double room to be held between October and May.
Special seasons, single and solo traveller supplements applies.
What is included:
8 nights’ accommodation with breakfast
Welcome reception at the airport with information about the programme providing a mobile phone, GPS track and informational material
Tranfers to and from airport
7 Pic-nic to go on the activity days
Transfer of luggage between accommodations
What is not included or is extra:
You didn’t find what you are looking for in our offer? We would ♥ to reduce, increase, modify, change and finally, we can do the tour depending on your interests and availability. Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.