WEEK LONG LISBON ESTUARIES & ALENTEJO -BIRDWATCHING
A sublime landscape diversity and a high number of habitats turns Portugal into an distinguished place for birdwatching
Within 30 minutes drive from Lisbon, we can visit both the Tagus Estuaries and the Sado Estuary Nature Reserves, two remarkable protected wetlands with extensive bird lists that include species like the Greater Flamingo, Glossy Ibis, Squacco and Purple Herons, Black-winged Kite, Little Bustard, Eurasian Hoopoe, European Bee-eater, Azure-winged Magpie, Iberian Grey Shrike and Spotless Starling, and an excellent selection of ducks, waders, gulls and terns.
The Alentejo region is only within one hour driving distance and we will observe other complementary biotopes and new bird species. The rolling plains of Castro Verde are the home of Great Bustard, Montagu’s Harrier, Lesser Kestrel, Black-bellied Sandgrouse, European Roller, Calandra Lark, Rufous Bush Robin, Black-eared Wheatear and others… The bluffs and hills of the Guadiana Valley Nature Park, are remarkable for species like Iberian Imperial, Golden and Bonelli’s Eagles, Eurasian Black and Griffon Vultures, Black Stork, Eurasian Eagle Owl, White-rumped Swift, Eurasian Crag Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Blue Rock Thrush and Rock Bunting.
After exploring the Alentejo biotopes, a further 45 minute drive takes you to the Algarve, a Portuguese region rich in protected wetland areas situated on a major fly-way for migrants from Africa and notable in particular for waders and passerines. The spots you will visit, namely the Ria Formosa Nature Park and the Castro Marim Nature Reserve, are unique in Portugal for the high number of scarce species observed, like Audouin’s and Slender-billed Gulls and Lesser Short-toed Lark. Other species you will get the opportunity for getting close views include species like Purple Swamphen and Little Bittern. Red-necked Nightjar, Azure-winged Magpie, Eurasian Hoopoe, European Bee-eater and Spectacled Warbler are particularly abundant here.
You will have the opportunity to visit three different destinations in Portugal with different biotypes and also with distintic personalities which will make you not only fall in love with the richness of the birding diversity but also with its gastronomy, landscapes and customs & traditions.
- The variety of species within short distance
- The rolling plains of Castro Verde
- Buff and hills of the Guadiana Valley
WHY BOOK WITH US?
- We are Portuguese and know the hidden corners of our land better than anyone
- We work with the best experts in the activities provided
- We take every care when selecting your accommodation
- Online reservation with immediate confirmation
- Day 1 :We welcome you at Lisbon Airport and together, we’ll head towards the charming Brown’s Boutique Hotel in Lisbon. We will visit several areas and a variety of habitats within the Tagus Estuary Nature Reserve, including the inter-tidal mudflats and salt marshes of Hortas, the salt pans of Atalaya, Ribeira das Enguias and Samouco and the Barroca d’Alva rice fields and pastures. The night will be spend at the charming Brown’s Boutique Hotel.
- Day 2 : After a delightful breakfast we will visit other interesting sites of the Tagus Estuary Nature Reserve, including the open fields, rice fields, inter-tidal mudflats and salt marshes of the Ponta da Erva area and the cork oak woodlands of Pancas. During the breeding season, we visit a heronry on the Tagus river. The Brown’s Boutique Hotel is awaiting us for the night.
- Day 3 : Today we head off to the Sado Estuary Nature Reserve, to explore some of the most interesting sites in this protected area: Praias do Sado, Mourisca, Gâmbia, Zambujal and Batalha (inter-tidal mudflats, salt marshes, salt pans, rice fields, reed beds, cork oak and pine woodlands). Overnight stay at Brown’s Boutique Hotel.
- Day 4 : We will travel to Casa dos Castelejos a lovely B&B in the Alentejo region with a perfect location for birdwatching. We will visit the great Castro Verde rolling plains with species such as the Great Bustard, Montagu’s Harrier, Lesser Kestrel. The night will be spend at Casas dos Castelejos.
- Day 5 :After a breakfast with typical products from Alentejo, we will visit the bluffs and hills of the Guadiana Valley Nature Park, including Mértola, Mina de São Domingos and Alcaria Ruiva areas. We will overnight at lovely Casa dos Castelejos.
- Day 6: Today we’ll head towards the charming country house of Herdade da Corte in Tavira, Algarve. We will visit the canals, saline flats and salt pans of the Castro Marim Nature Reserve and of the Tavira area (Ria Formosa Nature Park). The lovely Herdade da Corte is awaiting us for the sleeping night.
- Day 7: After a detailed breakfast we will visit several habitats such as dunes, open water, inter-tidal mudflats, salt marshes, salt pans, reed beds, lagoons and pine woods in the area of Ria Formosa Nature Park (Quinta do Lago and Ludo). We will also visit the Salgados lagoon. At the end of the day we head back to the cosy Herdade da Corte.
- Day 8: On our last day we will head back to Lisbon visiting the inter-tidal mudflats, salt marshes and rice fields of Comporta and Carrasqueira (Sado Estuary Nature Reserve). Cross the river Sado by ferry, with a good chance of seeing small pods of Bottle-nosed Dolphins. We will leave you at Lisbon airport hoping you had a wonderful trip.
Greater Flamingo, Glossy Ibis, Squacco and Purple Herons, Black-winged Kite, Little Bustard, Eurasian Hoopoe, European Bee-eater, Azure-winged Magpie, Iberian Grey Shrike and Spotless Starling, and an excellent selection of ducks, waders, gulls and terns.
Great Bustard, Montagu’s Harrier, Lesser Kestrel, Black-bellied Sandgrouse, European Roller, Calandra Lark, Rufous Bush Robin, Black-eared Wheatear. Also other species such as Iberian Imperial, Golden and Bonelli’s Eagles, Eurasian Black and Griffon Vultures, Black Stork, Eurasian Eagle Owl, White-rumped Swift, Eurasian Crag Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Blue Rock Thrush and Rock Bunting.
The price of the program is €2215 per person on a double room to be held between October and May.
Special seasons, single and solo traveller supplements applies.
What is included:
7 nights’ accommodation with breakfast
Welcome reception at airport and all transfers during the tour
Professional Guide escorting
What is not included or is extra:
You did not found what you are looking for in our offer? Contact us because we would ♥ to reduce, increase, modify, change, finally, we can ride the tour depending on your interests and availability. email@example.com.